Friday 30 May 2008

£10 challenge - supper tonight

Supper tonight was leftovers from last night; we had cottage pie last night, and there was still some bolognaise, so we had it with spaghetti. Don't tell my aunt though (she's married to an Italian and would have a fit if she saw my version....)

Bolognaise

400g Minced beef - bargain corner, £2.12
2 Onions - about 30p?
2 cloves garlic, crushed - 10p
Squirt tomato puree - 5p?
Pudding spoon of marmite (LOVE IT!) - 5p?
Can value baked beans (yes, horrid I know) - 20p
Can value chopped tomatoes - 21p
Box passatta - 29p
Dried mixed herbs - 5p?

Finely chop the onions, when they are soft, add in the crushed garlic. Fry this all off for a minute, being careful that the onions don't catch.

Add the mince, stir well, and fry until it starts to colour. Add the tomato puree and the herbs and stir. Add the marmite and the other ingredients. Use a little boiling water to rinse the marmite spoon and the tins (I rinse the marmite spoon into the bean tin, and then swill it and pour it into the passatta etc. This means that you get all of the flavour and your tins are clean enough to recycle.)

Stir well, then cook on a low heat (so it is simmering - gently bubbling) for 1 hour at least (I often bung it in the oven on a low heat all day.)

This made 7 portions of slosh, so:
Total cost for entire dish: £3.32
Total cost per portion: £0.47!

We served this with mash (for cottage pie - baked in the oven till crispy on top) or with spaghetti...

After supper, I realised that we were running out of bread, so I decided to make a loaf! I used Jamie's Kitchen's recipe for Basic White Bread... It rose and rose so much that my tin over-flowed and this mutant dough took over the oven!

I'll write up the recipe and try to add some photos tomorrow....


I also did a little bit of food shopping today:

4 pints skimmed milk - 2 bottles = £2 (this was on special, but I have frozen one for next week)
Haggis - 73p in reduced box... Sunday dinner here we come!
Carrots - 300g = 22p



If you have read this far, well done. You deserve a medal! Even my OH won't!!!
Sorry this was so long, but I thought that if I am going to try and do the £10 challenge properly then I need to note everything down as I go...

No comments: