Friday 30 May 2008

Death to worksheets

Our teacher's worksheet barmy
our school is worksheet mad
She makes the biggest worksheets
the world has ever had.
We fill in all her questions,
numbers, words and dates,
adjectives and clauses
(copied from my mates)
She says they test our knowledge,
they tell her what we know-
who is quick and clever,
who is dull and slow.
They tell her who remembers
phonemes,plants and names,
wires and magnetism,
kings
and queens
and reigns.
I know I can't remember,
I know I'm very slow
as I gaze beyond the worksheet
...and think of things I know

Peter Dixon – ‘Weepers’


I probably use too many worksheets, but they are sometimes needed; if I explain something orally, the kids don't always get it, so I have to do it in writing... then I get complaints from the reprographics department that more than one A5 sheet per pupil per week is too much...

What do you think?

1 comment:

JillyB said...

I think we budgeted for 3 A4 sheets per pupil per week and even then the pupils had to work from the sheet and not mark it so that it could be used again! Weren't we hard?