Thursday 29 May 2008

Too much month left at the end of the money...

As many of you will have experienced, there is too much month left and not enough money at the rate we are going, so we are setting ourselves a challenge:

Eat for £10 per week (for 2)

So, not really a catchy title, but we are going to see if we can spend less than £10 this week, between us, on food and drink. We have quite a well stocked freezer and cupboards (I am a bit of hoarder) so it should be manageable. We'll need to buy vegetables, milk and bread but otherwise, I reckon we can manage... if all else fails, I have anchovies...

4 comments:

JillyB said...

That's some challenge! Good luck with it. Do you have a local market nearby? I used to walk through Leicester's market on the way home from my 1st teaching post and could always pick up bags of really cheap veggies...and I lived in hope of catching a glimpse of Gary Linneker's legs but that's another story!

vww said...

No nearby market, but a Lidl and our Tesco always has reduced veg and things...

But truly, Gary Linneker's legs? Oh dear!

Anonymous said...

£10 per week for both of you will be a huge challenge I should think. But empty freezers will be so much easier to transport to your new house this summer wherever you get your job, so now is a good time to try. Does wine come into this btw?

Just imagine those untold riches next year when you are earning... :)

vww said...

TBH, we don't really drink that much wine.... I have some in the freezer for cooking with, but other than that, I am not bothered!

We have a lot of meat in the freezer and some ready-done dishes that we did earlier in the month.

As for moving, I own the house, so I will be keeping it and having my lodgers (which just covers the mortgage)... I can't quite bear to part with it, and can't afford the solicitors fees to move properly!