Friday 30 May 2008

£10 challenge

First meal of the £10 challenge:

Houmous and Pitta bread (all ingredients from the freezer / storecupboard)

It doesn't look beautiful, but it does taste good...

I can't do any photos at the moment (sorry) as my camera is flat and so is my phone... now where did I put the chargers?

Houmous

Handful frozen chickpeas
1 clove garlic
Olive oil
2 teaspoons ground cumin
Sprinkling salt

First, bung the chickpeas in the microwave to defrost for 2 minutes.
Now stick everything in a blender, and blend until you think it is a good texture (I like mine chunky) You might need to add lots of oil to stop it being dry and crumbly. I have also made it with water and stock instead of oil for a healthier lunch.

I've been asked to properly write down the costs, so:

The chickpeas (God bless Delia's How to Cheat) are available in Tesco, for only £1.25 for 500g, and I used less than 100g, so about 25p.
The oil can be anything (I like olive best for flavour) and this uses a splosh...really no idea on how much, but if you want to save money, it does work well with water and a stock cube...
The cumin I inherited from my sister when she moved house, but if I had to buy it, it would have been 64p for a jar, so about 5p for the amount I used...
The pitta was from the freezer, and I got them in the reduced section (where I seem to live) for 50p for 5.

In total, lunch probably cost me about £1 (but as I didn't actually buy anything, I am not taking it from my budget...)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ace!! I keep meaning to make my own houmous and now I have a recipe!

But that's two new posts since last night... get back to the essay lady! :)

(I like your clock thing btw)

Thinking About Food said...

Hey Wenchie, you need to properly document this budget cooking lark, I am sure there are plenty who would love to know how to survive on such a limited amount (me for one!!!)

vww said...

I should... most of what I have done so far is from the cupboard / freezer....